CO is a dangerous gas that you can't smell or see. It is produced when people use natural gas or other fuels (such as petrol, propane, fuel oil and wood) without enough oxygen.

CO can come from petrol engines running in closed garages, gas heaters being used without proper venting and through burning a fuel fire while the chimney is blocked.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

If you breathe in CO, it enters your bloodstream and robs oxygen from your blood cells. This is called CO poisoning. The early effects of CO poisoning make you feel like you have the flu, but without the fever. Severe cases of CO poisoning can be deadly.

If you or someone in your home has these symptoms, leave the house immediately and then call 111 Emergency Services.

How can you prevent CO poisoning?

The adults in your household can prevent CO poisoning by paying attention to these safety tips:

  • Maintain and inspect all gas heating systems and any fuel-burning appliances annually.
  • Check vents, flue pipes and chimneys for corrosion or blockages.
  • Never run your car in an enclosed space – like a garage.